Pages

Friday, April 6, 2007

Production of Space?

Henri Lefebvre wrote Production of Space in the Seventies.

I am reading it thirty or more years later.

I was reading it because I noticed it mentioned the idea of a science of space which goes along with my research topic of General Schemas Theory, see http://holonomic.net.

However, I don't really get what Lefebvre is saying in it. I think this is mainly for stylistic reasons. He tends to only talk peripherally about central notions in his argument and I find that somewhat disconcerting because it is those central notions that I am interested in seeing if they relate to my own research work.

He really does not go into how such a science of space would be conceived except a few side comments. Clearly he is really interested in tracing the evolution of the concept of space in various historical periods from absolute to abstract to differential space. But his description of differential space is very vague and I guess we must take Deleuze as the baseline for understanding it.

I noticed the blog of Ted Striphas called "Difference and Repetition" at http://striphas.blogspot.com/ and dropped off some comments there in order to see if he understands what Lefebvre is talking about any better than I do.

I am also interested in the influence between Deleuze and Lefebvre.

No comments: